Tuesday 22 July 2014

Heat exhaustion in England?



Saturday saw my tenth marathon of the summer. It happend to be the toughest so far. Around mile 22 I was hit by a wave of fatigue and nausea, making the remaining 4 miles feel a whole lot longer. At the time I couldn't understand how this could happen so deep into my training program, which started to erode the confidence in my fitness slightly. Managed to push through to the end anyway, having consumed about four litres of water, double the amount that I usually take in for that distance. Funnily enough Saturday was the aftermath of an extraordinary thunderstorm on Friday night, and the air was more humid than I can ever remember in England. This and a bit of sunshine combined to sap me of energy and at times almost forced me to stop. Good to have that in the bank going forward, if I start to feel dodgy out in Iceland then at least I'll know that I've been there before and will be able to draw on that reserve.

Sodden
 

As a result of such a draining Saturday run, I cut back the distance for my Sunday run to 18 miles. As if my mood couldn't dampen any further, I drowned in torrential downpour for the first hour of running. Again, looking back it is probably quite useful to have gotten wet and downtrodden. All useful experiences for when I need that little bit extra mentally.

My kit for the race is slowly accumulating, making the race feel very real for the first time. That and booking my flight to Iceland. Mark Topham, a good friend who is soon to finish his officer training at Sandhurst, has kindly donated a considerable amount of military ration packs along with some energy/rehydration powders of various sorts. I will be eating these for the whole week and if bought from an event nutrition company would cost well over £100, so I'm very happy about to keep the costs down without compromising on quality!

Donations continue to flood in and I have almost reached £3000, who knows how much more we can raise? Thanks to everyone for being so generous and for continuing to spread the word about my undertaking. Vincent from Kimta keeps messaging me about how happy and grateful they all are with the fundraising. I'll have a message from him shortly so he can thank you all himself. 

Link to my justgiving page is www.justgiving.com/fireandicekibera or just click here...

In other news, the half one of my front teeth fell off today while I was having lunch leaving a nice looking hole in the middle. Years of drinking Kenyan water are finally coming back to bite me (!). Only a mild case luckily, I need some fillings anyway so should probably seek out a dentist.


Flourosis: dental condition caused by overexposure to Flouride during childhood

Plenty more blogging to be done before I head out to Iceland, so please keep tuning in over the next few days and weeks! 

Only 3 more marathons left to run in training, words cannot begin to express how excited I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment