Friday 11 April 2014

How to train for an multi-day ultra (Yawn)

Some people have been calling out for me to shed light on my training program for the Fire and Ice ultra. It is really not that exciting but I'll do my best to at least make it appear as such. 


How long should a program be? 

I have no idea. 

This depends hugely on the experience of the athlete. Seeing as though I couldn't have less experience if I tried and have never even run a normal marathon, I have had to draw upon the knowledge of various people and online resources to tailor myself a suitable program. A case of the blind leading the blind.

My training plan is 31 weeks long and commenced on the 6th January. Which is probably why I have been conspicuous in my absence socially, usually being too tired to venture out after a run. The first 15 weeks which are about to come to an end have all been about getting my chicken-legs strong enough to handle marathon distance (or there about). So far I haven't run further than 16 miles in one sitting, and have only just scratched the surface of what it means to be fatigued. 

Scratching the surface

The final 16 weeks are designed to keep me on my feet as much as possible and by race day I should have (injury permitting) run 18 'training marathons', mostly on weekends as can be seen below. 

Screenshot: final month of training


Since I will be working in London for most of the summer, weekends will have to be spent outside the capital for longer distance training. If anyone knows of any decent trails that they have ran/walked then please let me know loren.kock@icloud.com. No routes involving sheep if at all possible.

On my Tuesday run this week I came under attack from a club-wielding woman while running through such a field of sheep. In between the stream of profanities that were being hurled in my direction I managed to interpret that my running was 'scaring the lambs', which would result in the 'terrified animals breaking a leg'... There weren't any lambs in the field, but I decided not to bring this up upon seeing her in possession of what appeared to be a heavy wooden instrument in her left hand. 'Keep your head down' was all I had to say in response. While we were both struggling to understand what that meant I felt it was best to get moving and left her with that mind-boggler. Mind-mouth connections clearly become tenuous when I'm tired so probably best not to open my mouth in future.


Keep your head down?


Generous donations keep flying in which is fantastic, please do consider donating to my charity if you haven't yet!

http://www.justgiving.com/fireandicekibera 

No comments:

Post a Comment