Saturday 2 August 2014

1 week before liftoff

Today I ran my final training marathon. It feels amazing just to have got this far. All that remains now is a comparatively laid back 'wind-down' week where I'll do a couple of short runs to keep the legs warm and make sure that I get plenty of food and sleep. 

I've weighed my backpack and it's come to around 10kg. When my water bottle and bladder are full then the total weight is 13.5kg which isn't that much, however after 20+ miles it feels double that. 

    Weight of bag = 90kg - 80kg 

               Water = 3.5kg


   There she is. Packed and ready 

I've started to pick up a couple of niggles, which isn't ideal a week out from the event. Almost twanged my groin while doing some squats at the gym the other day, a sensation that gives one quite a scare as you will know. Following this I proceeded to mosey around the gym like a cowboy after a 12 hour ride. 

My knees have also started to give me a bit of grief and I don't blame them. Can't imagine what it would be like to be forced against your will to pound for hours on end because of some foolish goal that the brain has set out to achieve. I need to keep my body happy, the promise of rest at the end seems to be keeping it going. One thing that I'm not telling it is that I'll be heading up to edinburgh for pre season hockey just two days after returning from iceland. That could well be  the straw to break the camel's back, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. There's a fairly large bridge to cross before I even get to the next one. 

       Look at that forced smile

On the fundraising front, we've crossed the £3000 mark, great news. A couple more weeks to go before the money raised gets sent out to Kibera so please keep donating, I am eternally grateful for all the support I've received so far but it's not over yet!

      www.justgiving.com/fireandicekibera

No comments:

Post a Comment